Your Quiz Results & Tips Based on Your Score:
You Had 0 to 3 “A” Answers:
Level 1: You Are Beginning To Develop A Sense of Being True To Yourself.
Congratulations for caring enough about yourself to take this quiz! Since you are actively seeking out a more fulfilling life, you can be well on your way to feeling much better about your life just by implementing the following suggestions:
1. Self-Compassion: The first step on the path to being true to yourself is to learn to be as compassionate & accepting as possible with yourself. Recognize that you truly are doing the best you can with the capacity that you have at this moment. If you could have done any better you would have. Do your best to refrain from shaming or beating yourself up for where you are in your life or what you have done in your past. Know that you are not alone! One of the foremost experts on self-compassion is Dr. Kristen Neff, a researcher and professor who is the director of the Self-Compassion Research Lab in Austin, Texas.
She studies how we develop and practice self-compassion. Dr. Neff identifies self-compassion as having three elements: self kindness, common humanity and mindfulness. Below are her definitions of each element: Self-kindness: Being warm and kind to ourselves when we suffer, fail or feel inadequate, rather than ignoring our pain or beating ourselves up with self-criticism.
Common Humanity: Recognizing that suffering and feelings of personal inadequacy are part of the shared human experience. Something we all go through vs. something that happens to me alone.
Mindfulness: Taking a balanced approach to negative feelings so that feelings are neither suppressed or exaggerated. We cannot ignore our pain and feel compassion for it at the same time. I highly recommend that you take Kristen Neff’s Self-Compassion Test to get a feel for how self compassionate you currently are and therefore gain some clarity on what your next steps can be.
2. Find nurturing, safe environments to receive support: Before you take on any major challenges in being more true to yourself, you must build a solid foundation of support for yourself. Therefore, it is critical to begin by planting yourself in the right soil in order to experience healthy and sustained growth. Finding a local, supportive group of safe, like-minded individuals who are also on the path of being true to themselves is critical. If you are looking for one-on-one coaching support with me, feel free to check out my coaching page on my website to learn about my background, my personal story, how I work and to see if I am currently accepting individual clients. In addition, I highly recommend the 12 step program Co-Dependents Anonymous for a safe space where you can learn to be true to yourself. Co-Dependents Anonymous has made a profound difference for me in developing a healthier relationship with myself and others. You can find meetings in most areas of the country and world by visiting http://coda.org
3. Gain knowledge, understanding & critical awareness: The next step is to gain the knowledge, understanding and the critical awareness that is necessary for you to see what is going on that is stopping you from being true to yourself. I have found that reading, listening and watching everything I could get my hands on related to being true to myself has been life changing. Some key resources are my blog http://MaryGiuliani.net/blog. Also, Brene Brown’s books and links to her TED videos can be found at www.BreneBrown.com. Author Melodie Beatty is an expert on Codependency issues and I would highly recommend her groundbreaking book: Codependent No More. You can find this book and many other books of hers on www.Amazon.com. Tapping into these resources on a regular basis will provide the guidance, support, inspiration and motivation for you to continue developing the courage to be true to yourself.
4. Practice extreme self-care: You are likely experiencing major suffering by putting others’ needs before your own, not asking for what you want and not sharing your authentic voice. There is a steep cost to pay on an emotional, physical and spiritual level when we are not true to ourselves. The good news is you can turn the corner if you are willing to make a commitment to your journey of being true to yourself. A big part of this is practicing extreme self-care. I highly recommend Cheryl Richardson’s book and/or her digital audio program: “The Art of Extreme Self-Care.” I have experienced profound growth from Cheryl’s digital audio program and book. You can find more information on her website at: www.CherylRichardson.com.
5. Possibly Seek Out Individual or Group Therapy: If you are still struggling after taking the above steps, I would seriously consider getting the support of a qualified therapist for one-on-one or group therapy. You deserve to get the support you need to gain the courage to be true to yourself. I have gained a tremendous amount of insight and been able to make many major life changes as a result of working with an individual therapist. You can visit www.BreneBrown.com to find therapists that are trained by Brene Brown, Ph.D. that are located across the country.
Congratulations on being committed to being true to yourself by taking this quiz!
IMPORTANT NEXT STEPS TO ENSURE YOUR SUCCESS:
1. Make sure you pick and write down each action item that you have decided to take based on your score and level.
2. Put each action item in a task management program, or some type of structure so it will get done and not fall through the cracks.
3. Stay vigilant to keeping your commitment to taking the action steps you chose to be true to yourself, so you will stay on track to creating a life that you love! Taking action is critical in being true to yourself and creating a life you love!
Be sure to get my FREE weekly tips on how to be true to yourself by subscribing to my blog at MaryGiuliani.net/Blog. If you are looking for one-on-one coaching support with me, feel free to check out my coaching page on my website to learn about my background, my personal story, how I work and to see if I am currently accepting individual clients.
Here’s to Being True To Yourself & Living a Life You Absolutely LOVE!